[mrtg] New MRTG install... Run as Daemon and RRD setup?

Matthew Petach mpetach at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 05:27:07 CEST 2010

----- Original Message ----

I'd just like to thank Tobi and Dave once again for putting together this
toolset; currently, we're tracking 295,295 targets on 1450 network devices,
and adding more every day:
mpetach at netops:/home/mrtg/archive/2010.09.26> find . -name "*.log.gz" -print |
wc -l
  295295
mpetach at netops:/home/mrtg/archive/2010.09.26>
mpetach at netops2:~/mrtg> grep -v # dist/etc/devices  | wc -l
    1450
mpetach at netops2:~/mrtg>

So far, we've been sticking with the regular log files since they work
better with the other realtime autogenerated network maps and capacity
tracking tools we've written.

> With the features now available in rrdtool 1.4 there  are a number more options
>
> available.  The rrdcached will soon allow MRTG,  RRDTool and Routers2 (the
>frontend)
>
> to exist on separate servers, to have  multiple MRTG hosts collecting data
>going
>
> back to a single RRD  server...
>
> If anyone is coming to LISA10 in San Jose this year, please  come by the
> MRTG/RRDTool BoF session in the evening!  It will be a good  chance for
>everyone
>
> to share experiences and configurations for large  setups.
>
> Steve

Alas, I'm only going to be there for the exhibitor session, not for the
evening BoFs; here's hoping you have a fun and productive session!  :)

Thanks again for all the hard work developing this wonderful framework--you
guys totally, totally ROCK!!  ^_^

Matt