[mrtg] Issue configuring MRTG

Anand, Sakshi sa185043 at ncr.com
Mon Apr 25 09:31:02 CEST 2011

All,
I am getting following error when configuring MRTG. I want to use it to measure bandwidth using Nagios.
checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg_ft in -lgd... no
checking gd.h usability... yes
checking gd.h presence... yes
checking for gd.h... yes
** Ooops, one of many bad things happened:
a) You don't have the GD library installed. Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc, --with-z-lib and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd versions 1.6 and higher. Check config.log for more information on the problem.
b) You have the GD library installed, but not the gd.h header file. Download the source (see above) and use --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify where the file can be found.
c) You have the library and the header file installed, but you also have a shared GD library in the same directory. Remove the shared library files and/or links (e.g. libgd.so.2.0.0, libgd.so and libgd.so.2). This is especially likely if you're using a recent (post 1.8.4) version of GD and didn't configure it with --disable-shared.
d) You have gd library installed and also it's headers, but you are missing libpng (and headers) or freetype (and headers) (mrtg does not use freetype, but if your copy of gd is precompiled against it, you have to install it ...
I have verified all the 3 points mentioned above but everything seems to be in place.
Please help.
Thanks & Regards,
Sakshi Anand