[mrtg] Problem with 3com Switch and MRTG

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:52:12 CET 2011

Hi folks,

I find myself in a new job and one of the first things I want to do of
course is install some of my trusted old tools - like MRTG.  I've got a
RHEL5.3 box and MRTG from there (yum).  And a 3com Baseline 2924 - which is
something I have never before dealt with.  By default there were "public"
and "private" community strings set up on the device, but MRTG was not able
to talk to it.  They were both set up for any host (0.0.0.0). I've tried
every combination I can think of setting up different community strings and
different management hosts and so forth, but still nada.   Admittedly the
3com firmware is pretty old so I should do an upgrade there and try again.
 But I wanted to see if anyone can offer other ideas here - even how to go
about debugging this.   I have never had to debug MRTG in this fashion -
been using it for 6 or 7 years with various types of switch and have never
encountered this problem.  And I don't know much about SNMP - I guess my
first step is to get something else to try to talk SNMP to this thing - but
what? From the switch side it appears to be on.

All machines in question are connected to the switch in question, if that
means anything.  And there are no firewalls in place.

[root at solexa-db ~]# cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /var/www/mrtg' --global
'Options[_]: bits,growright' --output /var/www/mrtg/192.169.160.9.cfg
public at 192.169.160.9
SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "192.169.160.9" [192.169.160.9].161)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: -102935040
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/bin/../lib64/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 627
SNMPWALK Problem for 1.3.6.1.2.1.1 on public at 192.169.160.9::::::v4only
 at /usr/bin/cfgmaker line 918
WARNING: Skipping public at 192.169.160.9: as no info could be retrieved