[mrtg] RateUP WARNING : Can`t rename error

Chris Blake chris at igroup.co.za
Thu Feb 17 10:09:33 CET 2011

Greetings MRTG community,

I run mrtg via crom every five minutes, and get loads of these messages
coming through :

======
16-02-2011 03:20:01, Rateup WARNING: /usr/bin/rateup Can't rename
127.0.0.1_2.tmp to 127.0.0.1_2.log updating log file
======

A lot of the posts I have read on this suggest that this behaviour is
normal and that it should only occur the first time mrtg is run.

I put this to the test today by running the cron manually from the
command line, and sure enough, the error appeared.

A few seconds later I ran the cron again, and the error never appeared.

The mrtg graphs are being displayed correctly when I view them, so I am
happy about that, but I would just like to clean up my daily barrage of
emails I receive from all of our servers, and this will help a lot if I
can get to the bottom of this problem.

I checked through the mail archives and although I read many posts, none
that I did suggested how to fix the problem for good.

I would be greatful if someone could point me to a solution, I`m
guessing I overlooked that *one* mail that provides a definitive answer
on this.

My server specs are :

Centos 5.5
mrtg-2.14.5

I do apologise if you have answered this question before, I am new to
this list and to mrtg, so perhaps I am looking in the wrong places for
the solution.

Many thanks for your time and willingness to assist.

--
Chris Blake
chris at igroup.co.za

Tel: 0861 IGROUP (447 687) Ext: 2280   |    Int: +27 11 712-3900    |
Fax: 011 507-5749    |   www.igroup.co.za

iGroup Call Centre Outsourcing – email sales at igroup.co.za

Delays in responding to emails will result in delays in project
completion dates and may incur additional charges. Use of this e-mail
and any attachments to it is subject to our e-mail Terms and Conditions
located at http://www.igroup.co.za/legal/email-disclaimer.htm - please
review these now. If you cannot access them, please call 0861 447 687 or
INT +27 11 712-3900 or email info at igroup.co.za