[mrtg] SNMPv3 - Net_SNMP Issues

johnathan falk johnathan.falk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 20:36:57 CEST 2011

I don't understand the point of forcing the specification of the "engineID"
in cfgmaker.  Snmpwalk, and pretty much everything else on the system does
not require it. In fact, in the man page for Net-SNMP/snmpcmd it says:

 -e engineID  Set the authoritative (security) engineID used for SNMPv3
REQUEST messages, given as a hexadecimal string (optionally prefixed by
"0x").  *It is typically not necessary to specify this engine ID, as  it
 will usually  be discovered automatically.*

I don't know if that was overlooked or what but it seems extremely asinine
to have to find the engineID for all of our devices. Is there a way around
this? Theoretically you should be able to leave this blank and let the
system auto-discover it per device. However, if you do that it gives an
error that it is required.

In the documentation it specifies that the field is optional: "In a SNMPv3
message, the contextEngineID and contextName are included as part of the
scopedPDU.  All methods that generate a SNMP message optionally take a
B<--contextengineid> and B<--contextname>
argument to configure these fields."

Any assistance getting around this would be appreciated.

--
Johnathan Falk
A+ Network+ Linux+ MCP MCTS MCSA CCNA