[mrtg] similar graphs

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Thu Mar 17 15:18:10 CET 2011

Hi,

I am using mrtg for simple bandwidth monitoring on our cisco switches.

The graphs on one switch appear to have very very similar peaks across 4
or 5 ports, although the totals and the axis are quite differnet.

Each of the servers on each of the similar ports performs quite
different tasks so its very unlikely that they would have peaks at the
same times.

Has anyone encountered anything similar, should i suspect hardware
problems on the switch?

Typical mrtg targets are of the form :   (64 bit counters).

Target[x.x.x.x_10111]:
ifHCInOctets.10111&ifHCOutOctets.10111:XXXXXXXX at x.x.x.x:::::2

If i run some large transfers through any of the ports these show up
normally on the appropriate graphs, and the similarity disappears as
expected

under normal usage the graphed load is as expected but the similarities
across these ( 4 out of 24 ) ports seem very mysterious and unexplained.

I plan to swap the feeds at some point to see if the behaviours follows,
but have not done this yet..

thanks
Paul.

--