[mrtg] help

Daniel McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu May 26 14:45:34 CEST 2011

On 5/26/11 6:33 AM, "Pedro Marques" <pmarques at pt.amadeus.com> wrote:
> Can someone help me config mrtg or give me ³how-to², in windows environment,
> for muti-routers snmp monitoring (about 250 or more).

The best guide for setting this up is Steve Shipway's book.

>Is it possible?

Yes.  The basic pattern is to create a separate cfg file for each router,
and have a master file that includes all of the others.

For example, on my system I have a file called "common.cfg" that has all of
the site-wde configuration parameters (LoadMibs, LogDir, HTMLDir, ImageDir,
forks, and the like).  Then I have a mrtg.cfg file that I generate from a
database query that includes all of the other files, as such:
$ head mrtg.cfg
Include: /var/mrtg/cfg/common.cfg
Include: /var/mrtg/cfg/811/811-net-1.cfg
Include: /var/mrtg/cfg/811/811-net-2.cfg
Include: /var/mrtg/cfg/811/811-net-215.cfg

I use a hierarchical directory structure for the benefit of routers2.cgi

But my environment is Linux.  For tips for running all of this under
Windows, get the book.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281