[mrtg] Puzzling Graphs

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Apr 19 17:57:26 CEST 2012

On 4/19/12 7:06 AM, Anthony Synakiewicz wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm fairly new to MRTG and have just taken over a server that someone
> else configured. I noticed that all of our ports on our switches were
> not being monitored so I created new configuration and .html files using
> cfgmaker and indexmaker. My results can be seen in this
> image: http://i.imgur.com/muPVg.png The ports showing traffic data have
> always worked. The graphs that are blank are live and active ports but
> I'm not getting any data back. I've tried researching the problem and
> have tried remaking the configuration files with different options, but
> i keep getting the same result. Any ideas on what is causing this, or
> where to look?

MRTG graphs what it sees.

Log into the switch.  Run a "Show interface" command and note the input
and output counters.  Wait a few minutes and do it again.  If the
numbers are the same, then MRTG is telling the truth.  If different,
then you'll need to look at the log files, make sure that you are
querying the correct SNMP variable, etc.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net