[mrtg] MRTG with RRDcached tuning

Mike Mitchell Mike.Mitchell at sas.com
Wed Aug 1 14:22:57 CEST 2012

I modified 14all.cgi around line 67.  Look for
  ### customize the html pages
and add the line
  $ENV{'RRDCACHED_ADDRESS'} = 'unix:/var/tmp/rrdcached.sock';
just before it.  Replace '/var/tmp/rrdchached.sock' with whatever path to the RRDcached socket you use.

I run rrdcached with only
   -w 5400 -f  21600 -m 666 -j path-to-journal -p path-to-pid -l unix:path-to-socket
and no other options.

I keep my RRD files on a mirrored pair of solid-state drives.  I have ~50,000 RRDs that are updated once an hour, and another ~5,000 that are updated every 5 minutes.  The RRDs that are updated once an hour are very rarely looked at.  RRDcached helps reduce the write cycles on the SSD.

Mike Mitchell