[mrtg] libpng ./configure error

Jeff Nelson jnelson at ofaoh.com
Wed Aug 15 16:55:38 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am a beginner Unix user and very new to compiling as I am not a programmer
at all. I am running Ubuntu 12.04, I have been following the instructions
for installation in mrtg-unix-guide.txt for mrtg-2.17.3

. I run through the process with zlib with no problem or errors.. When I
execute:

sudo env CFLAGS="-03 -fPIC" sudo ./configure -prefix=$INSTALL_DIR

The last line states: configure: error: zlib not installed.

If I ignore that and continue on to the last step before moving to the mrtg
directory and doing ./configure -prefix=/usr/local/mrtg-2, I get the error
that **Ooops, one of many bad things happened which lists four possibilities
dealing with GD libraries, header files, shared directories, or missing
libpng.

However, I believe I've been pretty meticulous in following the
instructions, installing the latest available versions of zlib, gd, and
libpng.

Any advice or direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff