[mrtg] Discontinuity at midnight

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Dec 20 00:50:02 CET 2012

What are the two OIDs you are graphing?  I assume one of them is the global
total connections... a suitable-sanitised snippet of your cfg file would be
helpful here.

I¡¯m particularly interested in this as Im in the process of fully
monitoring our F5 ¨C I have created a plugin for Nagios and MRTG to pull out
not only this data, but also other performance and health data on a global,
cluster or per-VIP basis, and am keen to avoid any potential problems (if
you want a copy of the beta plugin, it is available on
www.nagiosexchange.org)

A collection of the raw data might help (to see if there really IS a sudden
dropoff in connection rate at midnight); also your own knowledge of how the
F5 is being used and by what might let you find out about changes in usage
patterns at midnight, or any scheduled tasks or resets you have in client
machines at that time.  I can¡¯t help you with that of course.

We run several F5s in multiple clusters and have not observed this sort
behaviour either singly or as a cluster, except when a cluster fails over to
the other F5 member.  For this reason, I suspect the data are valid, and
caused by some other even on your network or application servers.

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway

ITS Unix Services Design Lead

University of Auckland, New Zealand

Floor 1, 58 Symonds Street, Auckland

Phone: +64 (0)9 3737599 ext 86487

DDI: +64 (0)9 924 6487

Mobile: +64 (0)21 753 189

Email:  <mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail : ´òÓ¡±¾Óʼþ£¬