[mrtg] MRTG and catching data from LAN IP's ,how ??

Ton Muller spatieman at online.nl
Tue Jun 19 16:16:39 CEST 2012

On 19-6-2012 12:24, Steve Shipway wrote:
> "i have MRTG now runing for a while, made some snity script to collect
> all kind of data.
> but the only thing i still cant get to work is, how to catch trafic data
> from every network interface on my local network."
>
> You could run cfgmaker against every host on your network (assuming they all have SNMP enabled) and graph each one via MRTG that way.
>
> Otherwise, you'll need to set up a server on a span port of your switch, enable some sort of packet sniffer and write some custom scripts to parse the output of that and calculate traffic per device.
>
> For my home network, I set up some special iptables rules on the linux gateway to count bytes per IP address going to the Internet and read these via custom scripts, so that I could keep track of who was using our monthly quota.
>
> Steve
>
> Steve Shipway
> University of Auckland ITS
> UNIX Systems Design Lead
> s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
> Ph: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86487

Hello steve.
wel, most of my machines are windows briks, and as far i know, windows
does not have SNMP installed.
and my switch is a dumbass model with no inteligence for SNMP
my OS is openBSD ,and it does not have iptables, it uses pfctlon it.
Previous router project was freesco, and with ipfwadm i could collect
all data i needed.
it even got worse now, i got a new modem from my ISP, and the stupid
brik has NO SNMP at al, so i have collect trafic data with statgrab
catching data on external eth card.

the only program that give me data per lan IP, is darkstat, but i am not
(yet) able to hack in the webserver stats....

so, i am bit stuck here.

thnxs for response.

Tony.