[mrtg] Centralize data

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Mar 2 20:46:55 CET 2012

Yes, it is possible, and we do it here.

The problem is that you need to use the absolute latest MRTG, and the Trunk version of RRDTool 1.4 in order to have the required functionality.

This allows you to use the RRD Caching Daemon on your central server (the one holding the RRD files and hosting your frontend) and MRTG with RRD in caching client mode on the multiple MRTG collector servers.  If you don't use the Trunk RRD 1.4 then you cannot remotely create and query info on the RRD files; and RRD before 1.4 doesnt have the caching daemon.

I'm adding a section to the MRTG book detailing how to achieve this; in the meantime, install the required versions and have a go.  Contact me off-list if you need any pointers.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead