[mrtg] Writing RRDfiles to multiple locations.

Gaurav Ghimire gaurav at subisu.net.np
Mon Sep 3 13:28:50 CEST 2012

On Sep 3, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Darren Murphy <darren at victoriajd.com> wrote:

> On 3 September 2012 00:34, Gaurav Ghimire <gaurav at subisu.net.np> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to have mrtg write RRD files in multiple locations? I'm looking to create a identical backup of RRD files so that recovery would be easier in case the storage fails.
>>
>> Say define multiple workdir or something?
>>

> A simple solution to this is to use rsync.
> Easy to setup and configure, and extremely robust and reliable.
>
> cheers,
> Darren

Hi Darren,

Yes that is useful and I am using rsync to copy over the data to a secondary storage but I have like a few gigs of RRD files updated every five minutes, and I think I'd not have real time data if I need to restore. I already am using a clustered storage for my RRD files, and that gives a redundancy right there. But, in an event when that storage requires some downtime, I'd not have any place to store all the contents.

Having multiple parallel storage would be of great help in such case where I can just restore the data off the secondary storage instead the rrd files get corrupt because of storage failure on the primary.  Steve's idea of rrd chaining would be a wonderful add-on (after it'd support create ), looking forward to it. Till then I guess I'll have to resort to rsync.

Regards,
--
Gaurav