[mrtg] Contents of mrtg digest...

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Aug 5 14:48:17 CEST 2014

From: Sagar Kupati <sagar.kupati at in2cable.com<mailto:sagar.kupati at in2cable.com>>
Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM
To: "mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch<mailto:mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch>" <mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch<mailto:mrtg at lists.oetiker.ch>>
Subject: Re: [mrtg] Contents of mrtg digest...

Hi Folks,

I am still awaited for your reply on the below said issue.

Looks like you are trying to use snmp Version 1, which has 32-bit counters.  They roll over more than twice in a 5-minute period when interface speeds are over about 600mb.
Instead, you should use snmp version2c or 3, which have 64-bit counters and can easily handle 100gig traffic without rolling over twice in a 5-minute period.

You can use snmp version 2c by just apending a :2 to the end of the Target[] definitions, or to the hostname when feeding cfgmaker.

Snmp version 3 is easier with templates, and you need to load some additional software.  Details are available at Steve Shipway’s site.  I monitor about 100 cisco 3750 and 3750x switches using snmp v3

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sagar Kupati