[mrtg] mrtg-2.14.5-4 (Centos5): oid-mib-cache.txt not created (w/solution)

Daniel McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Feb 6 15:11:33 CET 2014

On 2/5/14 10:00 AM, "Alessandro Forghieri" <alf at orion.it> wrote:

> The root cause I found for this is as follows.
> The mrtg distro apparently ships with two similarly named files:
>
> Net_SNMP_util.pm
>
> and
>
> SNMP_util.pm
>
> They are different but contain similarly named functions and it turns out that
> MRTG mixes up calls between the two.
> In this particular case, when parsing the cfg file MRTG_lib.pm calls (line
> 681):

Net_SNMP_util is a wrapper around Net::SNMP, which provides snmp v3 support,
but requires binaries.  Snmp_util.pm doesn't support snmp v3, but does
support snmp v2 with a perl-only implementation.  So, for deployments on
windows or when snmp v3 is not used, Snmp_util.pm is the superior product,
and whenever snmp v3 is used Net_SNMP_util is the required product.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CISSP # 78281