[mrtg] MRTG not reporting accurate usage info for Cisco interfaces

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jan 28 02:08:52 CET 2015

Hard to say without some examples.

However, the usual reasons for this sort of issues would be one or more of --

1. A GigE port being monitored using SNMPv1.  You need to use SNMPv2 to get the 64bit counters if you want to see more than about 160Mbps.  Have ':::::2' appended to your Target definition to force SNMPv2.
2. Confusion between rates in bytes/sec and bits/sec giving values 8x or 1/8x what they should be.  Us the 'bits' option to show values in bits/sec.
3. Incorrect MaxBytes definition (possibly pulled from incorrect OID) causing higher values to be displayed as zero.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead