[mrtg] MRTG and RAM Disk

Troy Lea troy_lea at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 06:13:09 CET 2015

I've been playing around with the idea of having MRTG use a RAM Disk.

Specifically on Nagios XI and CentOS.

I've been successfully able to define the current settings and it does work well.

LogDir: /var/nagiosramdisk/mrtg
ThreshDir: /var/nagiosramdisk/mrtg
WorkDir: /var/nagiosramdisk/mrtg

Using the RAM Disk improves performance, especially once you get into 4000+ ports being queried.

The only problem I have is when I reboot the server the port files don't exist until the MRTG has run the first time. For example these files:

ub04_93.rrd
ub04_94.rrd
ub04_95.rrd
ub04_96.rrd
ub04_97.rrd
ub04_98.rrd

This causes a problem with the check_rrdtraf program that looks for these files. The problem is overcome once MRTG runs the first time.

I'm wondering if MRTG has an option which will generate all these files without actually doing an SNMP query to all the devices.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this topic?

Cheers

Troy