[mrtg] cfgmaker with smtpv3

smcg4191 at frii.com smcg4191 at frii.com
Sat May 16 08:09:53 CEST 2015

On 05/10/2015 03:44 PM, Steve Shipway wrote:
>> This works:
>>
>>   snmpwalk -v3 -u guest -A **** -l authNoPriv -a md5  device
>>
>> This doesn't:
>>
>>   cfgmaker --enablesnmpv3 --username=guest --authpassword=****  -
>> ifref=ip device
>>
>> and results in the messages:
>>
>>   --base: SNMP V3 libraries found, SNMP V3 enabled.
>>   --base: snmpv3 available, but using v1/v2c for public at gw2:
>>   --base: Get Device Info on public at gw2:
>>
>> Why is it refusing to use snmpv3?
>
> Cfgmaker is not using snmpv3 because it cannot connect.  The reason for
this
> is that it does not have working credentials.
>
> If you specify a contextengineid, then this is used in combination with
the
> supplied authpassword.  If you do not, then the authpassword is assumed
> already be hashed with the contextengineid (see the snmpkey utility for
how
> to make these).  So -- either give the contextengineid, or use snmpkey
> convert the password into a hash.
>
> You can also use --snmp-options=:::::3 to force SNMPv3, though the above
> requirement still stands.

Thanks for your response and sorry for my late reply, my computer
died and it took a while to put together a replacement. :-(

I did use a -contextengineid argument (mentioned obscurely near
the end of my message) but what seemed to be missing was the
--snmp-options=:::::3 argument.  From the documentation I got the
idea that this argument only affected what went into the generated
cfg file but it seems it also affects how cfgmaker interrogates the
device.

So with both -contextengineid=... and --snmp-options=:::::3 it worked
but leaving either out it didn't.

Thanks much for the help!