[mrtg] power montor

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 18 23:49:19 CEST 2015

There are a lot of companies that produce small environmental monitoring
devices that can take a digital input.  These devices sit on your network
and can be SNMP queried by MRTG, Nagios and other management systems.

For example, this one:

http://www.networktechinc.com/environment-monitor-micro.html

We use their higher-end devices to monitor temperature, humidity, door
sensors, and other things.

Your problem would be that in reality you want to *count* the pulses, and
have MRTG query a total pulse count (this is far better than a rate as you
will get more accurate data).

Some of the devices may be able to give you pulse counts; others may just
let you know the current state.  You may be sufficiently  knowledgeable to
make a sinle pulse counter and SNMP agent using an Arduino or Raspberry Pi,
which would be a cheap solution.

This company makes SNMP-aware devices that can provide pulse counts:

http://www.hw-group.com/products/damocles/damocles_1208_en.html

I have not actually used one of these, but it appears to provide the
required features, though it may be a bit big for your requirements.

Personally, I'd build a device to do it using a RasPi which would cost about
$50 all in, plus a few hours coding up a daemon to count pulses and output
this via the SNMP daemon.

HTH

Steve

Steve Shipway