[mrtg] MRTG and SNMPv3

Wm. Josiah Erikson wjerikson at hampshire.edu
Wed Sep 23 15:51:53 CEST 2015

Well, you have to install the SNMP v3 libraries. I don't know about
Windows, but on RHEL 7 it should be as simple as "yum install
net-snmp-perl", I think.
    -Josiah

On 9/23/15 9:38 AM, Rau, Rodger wrote:

> Need some help.  Configuring MRTG for the first time.  Have MRTG
> (v2.17.4) installed on a Windows 2012 Server with ActivePerl (v5.20.2)
> and Net-SNMP (v5.5.0).  I used cfgmaker for a base config file and
> added all my routers.  I am able to capture data from all but the ones
> that require SNMPv3.
>
> *_ _*
>
> *_I am running the following command:_*
>
> E:\mrtg-2.17.4\bin>perl cfgmaker --global "WorkDir: e:\mrtg" --output
> mrtg.cfg --enablesnmpv3 --username=AdminUser
> --authpassword=authpassword --authproto=sha
> --privpassword=privpassword --privprotocol=aes --snmp-options=:::::3
> --contextengineid=0 AdminUser at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>

> *_I get the following error: _*
>
> WARNING: SNMP V3 libraries not found, SNMP V3 disabled. Falling back
> to V2c. reverting to snmpV2c for router
> AdminUser at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:::::3 <mailto:AdminUser at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxd:::::3>
>

> I tested this on a Linux server (RHEL7) as well and get the same error.
>

> *Rodger Rau*
> Senior Network Engineer, Information Management
> *T: *631 812-6181*| F: *631 812-6330
>
> *Leviton Manufacturing Co., Inc.*
> 201 North Service Road., Melville, NY 11747
> www.leviton.com *| *rrau at leviton.com
>
> /Stay Connected with FREE Leviton Mobile Apps: www.leviton.com/apps /

Wm. Josiah Erikson
Assistant Director of IT, Infrastructure Group
System Administrator, School of CS
Hampshire College
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 559-6091