[mrtg] Problem template MRTG for VMWare

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 28 00:31:13 CEST 2016

I recognise this MRTG file; this is one of my templates from the check_esx plugin for MRTG & Nagios.

You need to replace the various %COMMUNITY%, %LHNAME% etc symbols with their actual values before you use it.  This is NOT a cfgmaker template, it is designed to be used with our custom inhouse templating system.

COMMUNITY – SNMP community

LHNAME – the long (FQDN) hostname

SHNAME – the short hostname

OPTA – the VM name (see the initial defaults comment)

OPTB – the warn threshold, eg 80%

OPTC – critical threshold, eg 90%

Note that the check_esx is pretty old; we found it had very poor performance in large installations.  We now use a special agent that links the VirtualCentre to Nagios(via Livestatus) and MRTG(via rrdcached) and dynamically builds the configuration files as it goes; I’ve not yet released this to the public, though

Steve

Steve Shipway

T: +64 9 3737 599 ext 86487