[mrtg] Which filesystem for 40000 RRD files

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Wed Dec 14 10:44:50 CET 2016

Hi Tom,

> maby this is interesting for you
>
> https://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcached.en.html

I also used rrdcached for some time, but it doesn't help much. I also had
troubles with rrdcached that after shutdown data are not correctly flushed to
the disk. Maybe it has something with old system CENTOS 5.
Another trouble was that I had graphs generated by 14all.cgi with delay.
For example on graphs are not visible last half of hour depend on setting of
rrdcached.
On the end i disabled rrdcached and I am running MRTG in daemon mode without
them. It works good, but flushing caches to the disk totally block system for
some time.
I had idea to use another filesystem which will have better kernel flush
mechanism than EXT3.
Maybe in future I will try to reinstall complete system to something new, but
it is much work.

best regards,

Pavel