[mrtg] Minimum hardware

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Thu Jun 2 14:22:02 CEST 2016

Hi Thomas,

I have 6 years old machine with two XEON5160 at 3.00GHz processors and 8GB RAM.
Also I have RAID controller with two 15000RPM disks in a mirror.
I measured about 41000 targets and it is overloaded, but it works.

Most important is DISK I/O performance and enough of RAM.
Usually all RRD files are cached in RAM and kernel after timeout flushes all
files to disk.

New versions of MRTG support RRDCached, which can improve performance, but on
my system it doesn't have any performance impact and it has troubles with
flushing data when shutdown daemon. I use older system Centos5.

I don't know what everything you want to measure, but when you will have 2500
devices with 10 targets, that it is 25000 targets, which is OK for my
hardware.

I recommend to have minimum two processors (maybe four cores), enough of RAM 8
or 16GB and really fast disk controller and disks in a mirror or RAID 1+0.
Rotation disks with 10000 or 15000 RPM will be good.
Maybe it is a good idea to use SSD disks, but some industry type with SLC
chips. Maybe some with MLC chips will be OK, but I don't know how long it will
be OK with every 5 minutes load.
MRTG RRDTool files have about 100kBytes, but in my opinion in 5 minutes
interval are written only some small blocks and not a whole file.

It is better to install system on a hardware and not in virtual. It will have
better performance.

Best regards,
Pavel