[mrtg] Help graphing MAC address count from Cisco switch

Fred Weston fweston at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 19:24:11 CET 2016

Thanks for the suggestion, that has me on the right path but I'm still
having some trouble extracting the specific info I'm looking for.

This:
Target[vlan-10-hosts]:
CnTWaLK.1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.1&CnTWaLK.1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.1:public at 10.0.1.2:::::2

Gets me a count of the MAC addresses in the switch's CAM table, but
I'm trying to graph MAC addresses by VLAN so I want to create a
separate graph for each VLAN and for each of those graphs, I only want
to show the number of MAC addresses in the switch's CAM table for that
specific VLAN.

If I run this snmpwalk command:
snmpwalk -v 2c -c public at 10 10.0.1.2 .1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.1

It returns info only for VLAN 10.

Notice above that I'm using "<snmp_community>@<vlan_number>" followed
by a space, then the SNMP host's IP address.  The problem is I can't
seem to figure out how to turn this into a target line in MRTG where I
can specify that I only want information for a certain VLAN.

On my target line in MRTG, I've tried various permutations of adding
the VLAN # but none have seemed to work.

Any suggestions on how I could accomplish this?

Thanks,
FW