[mrtg] MRTG (off-list): cronwrap and launcher scripts

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Mon Jan 9 12:18:08 CET 2017

On 6 Jan 2017, at 12:27, Nick Price wrote:

> Might it not be an idea to update MRTG so that it works with a default
> install of perl as every new release or install I see a flurry of the same
> type of emails.

  That would be nice, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be.
  Even among Linux distros, I doubt you can count on a common
  "default install of perl".  The problem isn't diminished by
  the variety of other environments where MRTG can run.  The
  "idea to update MRTG" might not lead to the solution you seem
  to be looking for.

  In your specific circumstances, you have the options of installing
  MRTG from either (a) an RPM or (b) an original release (available
  at http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/).  In the former case, if conflicting
  (instances of) packages aren't being identified, you may be able  to
  persuade the maintainer of the RPM to consider this a bug and add it
  to the list of things to be done.  In the latter, it's falls to you
  to identify any conflicts and to specify parameters at installation
  time which steer the process appropriately.  TANSTAAFL.

  Best regards,
  Niall O'Reilly