[mrtg] Graph history being overwritten

Edwin A. Epstein III ed at rhinobee.com
Thu Jun 29 21:01:09 CEST 2017

Hi,

I find myself needing to restore some graphs after a server died. MRTG is working on a new server without issue, except for the fact it overwrites all files placed on it.

When I copy in the .old and .log files for a target and initiate MRTG it always replaces the entirety of the two files with zeros and the graph history is gone. In some cases, we have graph history going back 2 years or more.

What is the best way to restore these old files? Additionally, what is the best way to merge old data, or two graphs into one?

Sincerely,

Edwin A Epstein, III
Rhinobee Internet Services