[rrd-announce] ANNOUNCE: Orca 0.25 released

Blair Zajac bzajac at geostaff.com
Thu Oct 21 03:43:40 MEST 1999

New in Orca version 0.25.
 1) I have moved companies from Yahoo!/GeoCities to Akamai.  My email
    address has changed to blair at akamai.com and the old one will
    no longer work.  Also, I have moved the my entire Orca archive
    from www.geocities.com/~bzking/ to www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/
 2) Fix an important bug where Orca would crash if column names mentioned
    in the configuration file did not exist in the source data files.
 3) Orca, when it received the HUP signal, will look for new source
    data files the next time it runs through the main loop.  If you have
    a constantly running Orca, this is a simpler and faster solution
    than restarting Orca, which takes time to reread all the source files.
 4) Add a new make target orcallator_run_at_boot which will install the
    proper files into the proper /etc/*.d/ directories to start orcallator
    at boot time and shut it down at halt time.
 5) The previous default orcallator.cfg would not find compressed
    orcallator files.
 6) Remove the plot configuration option `optional' which made plots
    optional.  Now make plots optional by default and use the keyword
    `required' to make them required.  If a plot is required, then it
    will always display, even if there is no data loaded for it.
 7) Change the behavior of warnings when data requested to be plotted
    in the configuration file does not exist in the source data files.
    Any resulting errors from this, such as cannot compile errors,
    are only sent when the verbose level is above 1 or when the plot
    is required.
 8) Include Storable 0.6.7 but continue to only require Storable 0.6.3.

About Orca

Orca is a freely available, general use tool that collects numerical data
from text files and using a configuration file that defines the data,
generates a tree of HTML files that contain daily, weekly, monthly,
quarterly, and yearly views of the data.  A well designed configuration
allows the user to view the same data from different sources, such as CPU
usage across many hosts, or many different data from the same source.

Bundled with Orca is a SE toolkit program orcallator.se that gathers many
different system statistics for Solaris based systems, such as web server
hits per second, CPU usage, hme0 bits/second, disk usage and run percent,
page usage, etc.

Orca's NEW home page is

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/

To see what Orca and orcallator can do, check out

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/orca-example/

To get Orca, go to

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/pub/

and get orca-0.25.tar.gz.

This version of orca includes the latest version of orcallator, 1.20.

For any discussions regarding Orca, please direct your email to one
of the Orca mailing lists.  For this list, please see

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/#mailing_lists

Please contact me via email at blair at akamai.com.

Enjoy,
Blair

PS To continue development of Orca, I'm looking for some people who
would be willing to have a link from my pages to your Orca pages to
show that Orca is being used.