[rrd-announce] FlowScan-1.002 released

Dave Plonka plonka at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 23 00:43:43 MET 2000

RRDTOOL aficionados,

    I'm pleased to announce the release of FlowScan-1.002. FlowScan
    is a tool to monitor and graph flow information from Cisco
    routers in "near" real-time.

    I've pushed myself to release it now since I've just recently
    added passive measurement of Napster traffic. A sample of what
    FlowScan can do is at:

       http://wwwstats.net.wisc.edu

Availability

    FlowScan is licensed under the GNU General Public License, and
    is available to you at:

       http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/FlowScan/

Mailing Lists

    There are two mailing lists having to do with FlowScan:

    * flowscan
        a general mailing list for FlowScan users.

    * flowscan-announce
        a low-volume, restricted post mailing list to keep FlowScan
        users informed of news regarding FlowScan.

    Announcements will be "cross-posted" to both lists, so there's
    no need to join both.

    These lists are hosted by the Division of Information
    Technology's Network Engineering Technology group at the
    University of Wisconsin - Madison. To subscribe to either of
    them, send email to:

       majordomo at net.doit.wisc.edu

    containing either:

       subscribe flowscan

    *or*:

       subscribe flowscan-announce

    You should receive an automatic response that will request that
    you verify your request to become a member of the list, to which
    you must reply with the authentication information there-in.
    Then, in response to your reply, you should receive a welcome
    message. If you have any questions about the administrative
    policies of this list's manager, please contact:

       owner-flowscan at net.doit.wisc.edu

    *or*:

       owner-flowscan-announce at net.doit.wisc.edu

Napster

    If you're interested in Napster specifically, note the graph
    labeled "Well Known Services Mb/s" here:

       http://wwwstats.net.wisc.edu

    or, directly, here:

       http://wwwstats.net.wisc.edu/CampusIO/services_Mbps.gif

    I have written a general document about the Napster portion of
    the measurement at:

       http://net.doit.wisc.edu/data/Napster/

Thanks

    FlowScan-1.001, which was essentially the beta version, has been
    tested quietly by a number of volunteers since September of last
    year. I'd like to thank the beta testers for their efforts and
    feedback.

    Also, thanks to Daniel McRobb, Tobi Oetiker, and CAIDA for
    providing the main tools upon which FlowScan is built, namely
    "Cflowd" and "RRDTOOL".

Dave

--
plonka at doit.wisc.edu  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI