[Rrd-announce] announce: utility to restore RRDs from backup into used RRDs (fwd)

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue May 31 10:58:29 CEST 2011

guess this might be of interest to all

From: Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com>
To: rrd-developers at lists.oetiker.ch
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:51:48 +0200
Subject: [rrd-developers] announce: utility to restore RRDs from backup into
    used RRDs

Hi,

I hope I didn't re-invent the wheel, but I could not find an existing
utility that helped me out.

Our situation was that we had backups of our RRDs from a pnp4nagios
setup and had to perform a disaster recovery in two steps:

1. Get the monitoring system started again (which then started
    gathering new data into new RRDs)

2. Get the historical data back from backup.

I wanted to minimize the time that we lost data for and thus wanted to
merge the data from both RRDs into a new one. I found merge-rrds which
wasn't quite what I needed so I adapted it and if anybody has a similar
need you can find my shot here:
https://bitbucket.org/ctheune/rrdmerge/overview

Comments and criticism welcome,
Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com
Zope and Plone consulting, development, hosting, operations