[rrd-developers] Re: stacking and the *UNKNOWN*

Alan Lichty alan_lichty at eli.net
Tue Aug 3 17:42:23 MEST 1999

Tobi -

Unfortunately, all of my network graphs are thoroughly firewalled from
the outside world although I did send you a copy of the output back in
June.  The aggregation "application" in this case is a set of .cgi
scripts that perform the task of allowing my users to mine our RRD
data sets in various fashions depending on what they are trying to
see.  I have recently been building a tree of rrd scripts and
applications to meet my company's monitoring needs, but I am not sure
how well the pieces would work for others.

So far, I use an older copy of cricket to gather simple SNMP interface
data (Cascade ATM switches and Cisco routers), but cricket didn't lend
itself well to external data gathering scripts, so I have written my
own perl scripts to gather stats and call RRD update directly for
those data points.  I dump all of this into the same directory that
cricket uses for the data sets via a loopback filesystem (you could
also use symbolic links) so that all my programs see
/usr/local/rrd/data instead of
/home/cricket/cricket-data/router-interfaces.  All of my graphing
tools use this tree to see the data.

I borrowed Jeff Allen's concept of links for the tools and made my
tree /usr/local/rrd with an internal link where /usr/local/rrd/rrdtool
points to the latest /usr/local/rrdtool-1.0.x.  All scripts can then
have the statement:

use lib qw(/usr/local/rrd/rrdtool/lib/perl);
use RRDs;

to get the most recent version.

I can make this tree available, but must warn that it's fairly specific
to my internal needs and not nearly as flexible as Cricket.  I monitor
ATM switches and routers on different servers, so I never had to deal
with the issue of making universal code to handle lots of different
types of devices.  For the most part, the Cisco router tree is the
more advanced of the two - the ATM stuff is strictly Cricket on the
collection side and my own code for graphing.

Still want a copy?

Alan Lichty