[rrd-developers] Re: Example for the STACK problem (fwd)

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 4 01:53:33 MEST 1999

Yesterday you sent me mail regarding [rrd-developers] Re: Example for the...:

*> Alex -
*>
*> After thinking about this for a while, it seems that your preference
*> could prove workable for STACK graphs.
*>
*> > My preference would be to skip the unknown entirely (as with normal
*> > area and/or lines) so that #3 gets stacked on top of #1.
*>
*> I would not like to see this become the default behavior for all types
*> of aggregated graphs - just the STACK type.  I can think of contexts
*> for area and line plots where I do want RRD to stop graphing when
*> unknown data points come into play and I like the idea that I have
*> control over this behavior.
*>
*> The question I am left with however, is whether it would be possible
*> to have some sort of switch that does allow us to avoid painting
*> altogether when one of the values is unknown.  I note from the
*> examples we exchanged earlier today that this is not really the
*> current behavior - since you always have to start with either an AREA
*> or LINE plot for the first data point, you will always have at least
*> that one part of the graph assuming that the first data point is not
*> *unknown*.  We are currently sort of straddling the fence on this
*> item.
*>
*> I hope this better addresses your original query :-}

glad to get a second opinnion ...

it is not dificult changeing the stacking bahaviour ... as nobody else seems
to care I will change the bahavior ... you can always use a CDEF to test for
UNKNOWN and set all components to unknown given the case ... samle code
required?

CDEF:a=b,c,+,d,+,e,+
CDEF:bs=b,UN,UNKN,b,IF
CDEF:cs=c,UN,UNKN,c,IF
CDEF:ds=d,UN,UNKN,d,IF
AREA:bs
STACK:cs
STACK:ds

or something like this ...

*> Alan Lichty
*>
*> --
*> * To unsubscribe from the rrd-developers mailing list, send a message with the
*>   subject: unsubscribe to rrd-developers-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
*>
*>

--