[rrd-developers] Re: Counter limitation

Russ Wright rwwright at home.com
Mon Oct 25 18:37:49 MEST 1999

At 11:12 AM +0900 10/25/99, Austin Oh wrote:
>Dear Developers,
>
>I have adopted a RRD tool with mrtg.
>But, i notice that i can't see actual utilization
>when the utilization of link is over about 120Mbps.

Makes sense- that's about about where you get double counter wrap.
RRD takes care of the first counter wrap but not the second.

>We use the Cisco router with high bandwidth link,
>155Mbps ATM, FastEtherChannel, etc.
>
>In my opinion, the problems are our router which uses
>the 32bit counter.
>Therefore, i have modified some code of mrtg and
>decreases the interval to 1 minute.
>It' looks fine. However, this is not the solutions because of
>32bit counter.

IOS 12.0 supports the 64 bit counters (some other versions of 11.2 or
11.3, I believe, but not 11.1(x)). Here are the counters I use. Works
great w/ RRD although I can't say whether the counter wrap code works
correctly.

ifHCInOctets
ifHCInUcastPkts
ifHCInMulticastPkts