[rrd-developers] Re: New DEF: virtual def

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 24 07:44:40 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-developers] New DEF: virtual def:

*> No, no code yet.
*>
*> I was wondering about the resolution of the data inside a CDEF.
*> Doing functions with TIME, it will not be at the picture resolution,
*> it will be at the data resolution.

yes ...

I guess the 1.1 series will have to have a syntax for defining data density
in the grapher options ...

*>
*> Try it: create a RRA with CDPs every two hours. Now use the TIME
*> function inside a CDEF and mask out every other half hour:
*>
*> DEF:mydata=some.rrd:.....
*> CDEF:mask=TIME,3600,%,1800,LT,mydata,UNKN,IF
*>
*> It won't work as intended, the resolution of the data is too low.
*>
*> Perhaps we could use something like "VDEF" that carries no data in
*> it but can be used for time related stuff. It would have a resolution
*> of one calculation per pixel. I'm thinking of:
*>
*> DEF=mydata=some.rrd....
*> VDEF:thetime=TIME
*> CDEF:mask=thetime,3600,%,1800,LT,mydata,UNKN,IF
*>
*> Also, there would be no restriction to always use a DEF or CDEF in it
*> and the following is completely legal:
*>
*> VDEF:constant=20
*>
*> as opposed to
*>
*> CDEF:constant=data,POP,20
*>
*>
*> Comments ?
*>
*> Regards,
*> Alex
*>
*> --
*> * To unsubscribe from the rrd-developers mailing list, send a message with the
*>   subject: unsubscribe to rrd-developers-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
*>
*>

--