[rrd-developers] Re: Legend being in the wrong order

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon May 29 14:57:40 MEST 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-developers] Legend being in the wrong...:

*> Hi,
*>
*> Most of us will be aware of the problem as indicated on the subject line.
*>
*> I'm not so fluent in C so I may have misunderstood it but I think that
*> currently a linked list is made containing each element to graph.  New
*> elements are appended to the end.  For normal lines and areas this is
*> not a problem however for stacked lines and areas this is a problem.
*>
*> With a few more pointers this problem can be solved.  We need
*>
*> 1 - pointer towards the end of the list (already there)
*> 2 - pointer to the end of the last complete (together with gprints) line
*>     or area
*> 3 - pointer to the end of the current inserted item
*>

the problem is more on the logical side than at the implementation
side ...

People expect their comments and labels to go into the label area
in a left->right top->bottom order ... in the graphs where we STACK
stuff on top of each other it is the other way round ... so there
is a fundamental problem ... Now we could alter the whole legend
area so that it gets filled up from bottom to top (right -> left,
bottom -> top) but I am afraid this will be even wors for people to
understand ...

Another option would be to rotate STACK groups on display ... so
that things get stacked from top to bottom so to saz and leave the
legend area alone ... maybe this might help ... will look into this

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286  FAX:...1517  ICQ: 10419518
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker