[rrd-developers] Re: Legend being in the wrong order

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue May 30 07:34:22 MEST 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-developers] Re: Legend being in the...:
*> (note: algoritm included further below)
*>
*> What I proposed is sort of an "insert before last" way of handling
*> the legend.  That way the area (or line) is on the last line of the
*> legend and the stacked area (line) is inserted before this line.
[...]

the problem with your proposed algorithm is that it would reorder
legends based on the assumption that the legend structure is
fiexed, but someone might very well want to have
comment, gprint, label, gprint\n
comment, gprint, label, gprint\c

and in the light of this I think we would see a lot of people not
being able to understand what is happening to their legend and why
it gets tossed around ... whereas fliping the stacking order round
would not change the potentially carefully arranged legend. It
would only change the order of the graph elements to be in line
with the legend which is already there ...

*> > Another option would be to rotate STACK groups on display ... so
*> > that things get stacked from top to bottom so to saz and leave the
*> > legend area alone ... maybe this might help ... will look into this
*>
*> That may also do it.  To me it looks more complicated than fiddling
*> with the legend but then again, see line #3 in this mail :)
*>
*> There are two problems with this:
*> 1) currently available scripts are built with the current order in mind
*> 2) some users may get confused when they have to understand that a stack
*>    is built top down.
*>
*> regards,
*>