[rrd-developers] Re: MySQL Integration

Jakob Ilves jakob.ilves at oracle.com
Wed Nov 29 12:54:51 MET 2000

Hello!

Is it possible to do this enhancement in such a fashion that it becomes
independent on which database you use?  For instance, in your case, it works with
an mysql database.  It would be great if it others could download your
modifications, run mrtg/rrdtool with them and use, say, an Oracle database for
storage right off without changing any program code.

I don't know what kind of interface to the DB you use in the C code (or is it in
the Perl code?).  Perhaps the thing I ask for is already there in your
modifications.

Just my two cents...

Best regards

/IlvJa

Rainer Bawidamann wrote:

> In article <3A24D04C.5778757B at donkeypit.com>,
>         dk at donkeypit.com (Don Kukral) writes:
> >
> > Well, this is what I've got so far.  I've added a new option to rrdtool
> > called fetch_mysql.  It's called as follows:
> >
> > rrdtool fetch_mysql \
> >   --datasource
> > "host=h;user=u;password=p;database=d;table=t;t_col=tc;v_col=vc;" \
> >   --start start \
> >   --end end
>
> > Tomorrow I'll probably start on a graph_mysql option.  Then the plan is
> > to go back and add functionality for multiple datasources.
>
> Did you think about a way to use it like this:
>
> rrdtool graph DEF:var1=mysql:host;user;pw;db;table;t_col;v_col ...
>
> (or DEF:var1=%mysql(...):column ... or whatever to distinguish from
> normal DEF)
>
> This way graphing would work as usual.
>
> Rainer
> --
> Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
>
> --

                (Jakob Ilves) <jakob.ilves at oracle.com>
             {Oracle Global IT, Network Management Group}
[Office as well as mobile phone: +46/8/477 3666 | Fax: +46/8/477 3572]

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Desc: Card for Jakob Ilves
-- Size: 444 bytes