[rrd-developers] moving from libgd to libart

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun Aug 12 10:54:02 MEST 2001

Folks,

One thing I am thinking about for rrdtool 1.1.x is to move from
libgd to libart and freetype, this would give us fully antialiased
graphs with alphachannel capability...

Yesterday I managed to create some sample code which can be linked
with libart 2.3.4, libpng, libz and which produces a neat little
antialiased drawing ...

I am still working at integrating a sample truetype remderer into
this ...

The advantages of this approach are:

* more beautiful graphs

* lines can have any 'width' you want '0.001 to 12.4' pixle

* colors can be transparent ... #rrggbb[aa] will be used the
  optional aa can be from 00 not transparent to ff fully transparent

* truetype fonts will give much cleaner text strings

* moving to truetype fonts will require changeing the text handling
  to the extent, that it must support 'tabs' for alligning text
  strings ...

please find the sample code on
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/pub/beta

ps   you get libart from http://www.artofcode.com/libart.html
pps  some preliminary documentation on libart is at
     http://le-hacker.org/hacks/docs/libart/

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland