[rrd-developers] Re: moving from libgd to libart

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun Aug 12 23:59:50 MEST 2001

Today Matt Zimmerman wrote:

 | On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 10:54:02AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
 |
 | > One thing I am thinking about for rrdtool 1.1.x is to move from
 | > libgd to libart and freetype, this would give us fully antialiased
 | > graphs with alphachannel capability...
 |
 | libart looks very neat.  Is it possible to output SVG from its vector elements
 | (yet)?  It would be great to have scalable graphs.

well, there is librsvg which ties into libart ... my original
intention was to integrate librsvg ... and rewrite rrdgraph to
output svg and then use librsvg for the graphs ... unfortunatley
this seems to be a huge operation .. librsvg needs libxms,
gdk-pixbuffer, libart, libfreetype ... which is a lot

in any event, the libart imaging modle will make it very simple to
move onto svg once this becomes widely used ...

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ mailto:oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker