[rrd-developers] "remote RRD" - A prototype

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at critter.freebsd.dk
Mon Aug 13 22:43:05 MEST 2001

http://phk.freebsd.dk/rrrd/

README:
=======

rrrd version 1.0

Man 13 Aug 2001 22:21:34 CEST

"THE BEER-WARE LICENSE" (Revision 42):
<phk at FreeBSD.ORG> wrote this file.  As long as you retain this notice you
can do whatever you want with this stuff. If we meet some day, and you think
this stuff is worth it, you can buy me a beer in return.   Poul-Henning Kamp

This is a tiny thing I've written because it annoyed me that there were
no structured remote interface to Tobi's RRDtool.

Basically this consists of a server and a client.

The server is a small C program which received UDP datagrams with
stuff for "RRDupdate" in it, and if it looks right tries to do the
update.  The server will only act on existing files in the current
directory, so security should be OK if you make a dedicated directory
for storing your .rrd files.

The client can be used either like a C procedure or a program which
reads stdin for lines like "rrdtool -", with the footnote that it
only accepts "update" lines, sticks them in an UDP packet and ships
it off to the server.

A Perl and a Tcl binding for the C version of the client will be nice
but I have no idea how to write a Perl function so expect only the
Tcl thing from my hand.

This file is all the doc there is for now.

There is no attempt made to provide any kind of security.  This
puts it on par with syslog.  The first two bytes of the packet is
a "protocol version number" and currently equal to "00", this allows
for future packet formats to contain hash or public/private key
style authentications.

Have fun,

Poul-Henning