[rrd-developers] Owen DeLong's request for adding'deleting DS/RRAs

Jake Brutlag jakeb at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 24 20:08:50 MEST 2001

I don't follow the users list, but I assume there has been some
discussion of the technical difficulties of implementing this sort of
feature. As a general comment, because of the data layout,
adding/deleting RRAs should be easier than adding/deleting DSs.

Instead of implementing this within RRDtool, it may be simpler to
implement these functions as utility scripts that manipulate the XML
dump. Then restore can be used to generate a RRD file. I have a perl
script that deletes RRAs from a XML dump; I can at look at how difficult
it would be polish up the code and make it available. I have another
script that adds RRAs specifically for upgrading existing RRDs to take
advantage of the aberrant behavior stuff I've added to 1.1.x. This
script might be modified to serve as a general "add RRA" utility script.

Any preference for using external utility scripts versus a new RRDtool
function?

Jake

Jake Brutlag
Network Analyst