[rrd-developers] rrdtool 1.1.x rendereing

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Mar 3 12:30:26 MET 2001

Folks,

One of my goals for 1.1.x is to improve the rendering quality of
the graphs created by rrdtool ... This means scalable fonts, anti-aliasing
true scalability ...

I can not see this being possible with libgd ... one way ahead
would be to employ imagemagick. http://www.imagemagick.org either
through its native drawing api
http://www.imagemagick.org/www/api/draw.html

Another possibility is using svg http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8
together with an svg rendering library

* imagemagick is said to posess some svg rendering capabilities
* gnome nautilus contains librsvg
* there is also http://xml.apache.org/batik/ but this seems to be
  done in java entirely which does not sound like something we can
  use.

I find the svg route especially interesting as sooner or later we
can expect all browsers to be able to render svg directly ...
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8

Any thoughts on this? Anybody knows of good svg rendering libraries
written in c ?

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286  FAX:...1517  ICQ: 10419518
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker