[rrd-developers] Re: Added ABERRANT patch to cvs

Jake Brutlag jakeb at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 6 00:40:02 MET 2001

> the xml file ? you changed the dump format ? oops that sliped ...
> will have to check the idea of a xml format is that the <keywords>
> are stable ... you can not use the keywords to transport
> information ...

I am not certain I understand the question. Here is what the current
(post-patch) dump code generates:
<cf> cf name </cf>
<pdp_per_row> value </pdp_per_row>
<params>
<value> value1 </value>
<value> value2 </value>
</params>
Restore, of course, reads this. The old style was:
<cf> cf name </cf>
<pdp_per_row> value </pdp_per_row>
<xff> value </xff>
<cdp_prep> ...
Of course, there was only one RRA parameter, namely xff.
The syntax I am now proposing (for example) is:
<cf> cf name </cf>
<pdp_per_row> value </pdp_per_row>
<params>
<xff> value </xff>
</params>
OR (for example in the case of the HWPREDICT RRA):
<cf> cf name </cf>
<pdp_per_row> value </pdp_per_row>
<params>
<hw_alpha> value </hw_alpha>
<hw_beta> value </hw_beta>
<dependent_rra_index> value </dependent_rra_index>
</params>
With this approach, it is clear from a glance what the RRA parameters are.
This also frees the xml dump from a fixed number of RRA parameters.
Currently the code only supports 10, but that may change at some point in
the future (though this would break backwards compatibility). The only
downside is that the list of parameters tags will not be same for all RRAs.
But as far as I can tell the xml will still be "well-formed" (here is the
definition: http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/general/what-is-xml.asp). The same
could be done within the cdp_prep scratch array.

Jake

Jake Brutlag
Network Analyst
Microsoft WebTV