[rrd-developers] rrdtool slpitting

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 6 16:03:53 MET 2001

Today Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

 | BTW, shouldn't this discussion be moved to the developers list?

right ...

 | This is (IMHO) another problem.  Rrdtool "graph" is named improperly.
 | Its purpose is not only to graph, it also creates reports.  However,
 | the reporting is far from sufficient.  This should be worked on
 | anyway and we might as well do it elsewhere.  However, if you don't
 | use any graph functions in rrdtool graph, you already don't get a
 | picture so ...
 |
 | The graph program fetches, consolidates and represents.  Representing
 | the data to the user (or file, or image, or ...) should not be
 | limited to graphs only.  People have requested to get an ascii report,
 | insert the data in (a|the) RRD and maybe other places.  To me it seems
 | that feeding the data to an image generating program or subroutine is
 | no different from feeding the data to another type of program/routine.

well, what intrigues me about splitting the functionality into
different modules is that is would be simpler for severl people to
work on. Because it will force us to figure out clean interfaces /
APIS between the different elements of rrdtool

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286  FAX:...1517  ICQ: 10419518
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker