[rrd-developers] rrd format change ?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sun Mar 11 13:13:45 MET 2001

Hi Jake,

I just analyzed the COMPUTE patch of yours ... neat indeed, but I
am not all to happy with what is happening to the rrdtool
dataformat here ...

COMPUTE obviously has severe restrictions because it must save space
as there is no flexibility in the rrdtool dataformat for this ...

I can already see all the requests comming up about why they can
not use large constants in COMPUTE Datasources and thy they must be
integer ...

When thinking about extending COMPUTE to work for datasources
stored in other RRDs there are more big problems ahead and yet
another format change ...

How about having the rrd format changed so that at the beginging
of the rrd we have some size specifiers which tell how large the
data area of each DS definition is ... this would allow to create
some sort of forward compatible system which can skip DS types it
does not understand ...

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286  FAX:...1517  ICQ: 10419518
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker