[rrd-developers] Problems using rrd.h

Steve Fulton steve at esoteric.ca
Mon Oct 22 04:25:41 MEST 2001

Hi all,

  I'm relatively new to C and I'm having a lot of difficulty calling the
rrd_create(), rrd_update() and rrd_graph() functions.  I've posted about
this to the rrd-users list before, and received tips on looking at how those
functions are called in rrdtool.c .. Those tips were useful, definately, but
I think I'm missing something big..  I know the error is in how I'm using a
function..

  For example, I've tried called rrd_create() like this:

    rrd_create(variable1, variable2 .....) or rrd_create(argc, variable1,
variable2....) or rrd_create(argc1, giantvariable)

  But to no avail.  Those variables are usually just chars that are
dynamically created depending on the data - they also lack any whitespaces.
I'm assuming that is correct, because I get additional errors otherwise.

  Right now I've got my program working by calling rrdtool using a execl()
call but obviously I'd rather access the libraries directly..

  Any help or examples would be really appreciated!

    -- Steve

---
"If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think
little of robbing; and from robbing he next comes to drinking and
Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination."
                -- Thomas De Quincey (1785 - 1859)