[rrd-developers] Re: Architecture-dependent RRD file format

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Mon Oct 29 07:37:15 MET 2001

Yesterday Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> I received the following bug report from a fellow Debian developer.  We
> are using RRDtool in the Debian system environment, which is very
> architecturally diverse, and the fact that RRDs are not portable across
> architectures is making things more difficult.
>
> I am wondering if there are any plans to address this issue in future
> RRDDtool development, and if someone could clarify the reasons for the
> architecture-independence.  Am I correct in thinking that it has to do
> with floating-point storage formats?  From looking at the code, C struct
> padding/alignment issues could enter into it as well.

Hi Matt,

Yes the problem is the numerical storage format ... it is the
quickest to do it that way, but it becomes architecture dependent
... the cleanest solution would be to offer the option of using xdr
as storage format ...

This could be specified when running rrdtool create (or restore) and then the
resto of the tools would recigniyze the data as being xdr and
convert it accordingly ...

Learn about xdr by typing man xdr

As of this writing I am not aware that anybody is working on this.

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, ETZ J97, ETH, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / phoneto:+41(0)1-632-5286  faxto:+41(0)1-632-1517
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/ mailto:oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker