[rrd-developers] Re: Architecture-dependent RRD file format

Jake Brutlag jakeb at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 30 18:06:22 MET 2001

> I seem to recall reading that rrdtool was in CVS now...is the
> repository open for public access?  Or should I start from
> the 1.0.33 sources?

I don't know a lot about xdr, but a quick look at the man page suggests
to me changes would not be isolated to a few files, but widespread
throughout the source files. This suggests the appropriate place to this
is the development branch (1.1.x). Implementing this on the 1.0.33
sources would then require a code merge with the 1.1.x branch.

One idea discussed for the 1.1.x branch was to isolate the RRD data
structures from the code logic via accessor functions. I had originally
thought the scope of this encapsulation would be limited to the RRD file
header (thus permitting different versions of the header), but if
expanded to the entire data file, it could assist in the implementation
of Matt's proposal (xdr could be confined to those accessor functions).
On the otherhand, the human resources necessary to complete this project
haven't been committed. I'll reiterate my pledge to work on
rrd_update.c, in my opinion one of the difficult modules for such a
conversion. Perhaps Matt (and others interested in xdr) could be
persuaded to join this effort.

Jake

Jake Brutlag
Network Analyst