[rrd-developers] Re: RRD Extension for PHP *without* graphing

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Wed Apr 24 21:16:46 MEST 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 02:56:58PM -0400, Rob Sweet wrote:

> I've got a problem.  I'm trying to compile PHP with the RRDTool extension
> available in contrib.  The problem is that I'm also compiling GD support
> into PHP.  Because the RRDTool libs and PHP extension use their own
> version of GD, I'm getting conflicts between the GD functions in the main
> GD on the system and the GD that comes with RRDTool.

You should be able to work around this by linking both with the same
(shared) libgd.  Or, if you are not building PHP as a loadable object, by
statically linking both libraries into PHP.

> 1) Am I missing something about how RRDTool is put together?  Is there
> already a way to build an RRD lib without the presentation bits that I
> could then compile the existing PHP extension with?

Currently, it all comes in one big lump, and I'm not sure that it makes
sense to split it up.  The root of this problem is that librrd includes a
bunch of common code from other libraries, when in many circumstances it
makes more sense to link with them.

The development version should link with installed libraries if present, and
fall back to building its own copies if not.

--
 - mdz