[rrd-developers] Re: rrdtool is now using freetype and libart

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Thu Jan 17 07:22:19 MET 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:07:55AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Yesterday Brett McCormick wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyway, do you really need bleeding edge tools?
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> Yes, because normal users will not require these when compiling
> rrdtool it is only necessary to build the environment ... and the
> newer tools have better detection algorithms for new oses, quirks,
> compilers and so on ... just download them and configure make
> install them ... they are VERY simple to install ...

In fact, after getting in this same argument on another project, I wrote the
following scriptlet to show how easy it is to install these tools:

-- begin --
#!/bin/sh

PREFIX=/usr/local/autotools

set -e

wget -c ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.52.tar.gz
wget -c ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/automake/automake-1.5.tar.gz
tar xvzf autoconf-2.52.tar.gz
(cd autoconf-2.52 && ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX && make install)
tar xvzf automake-1.5.tar.gz
(cd automake-1.5 && ./configure --prefix=$PREFIX && make install)
-- end --

(for reference, the required tools are in Debian woody and later)

--
 - mdz